So I've got some internet speed issues on my own little private network and suspect my cheap access point is at least partly to blame. Lets look at some speed tests first...

Connecting direct to the communal WiFi access point (5ghz) -

Speed test results connected directly to the communcal AP.

And then connecting to my own (5ghz) WiFi network on the same device -

My own WiFi router speed test results.

So clearly not great... testing speeds on a wired device and it's not much of an improvement -

Wired device speed test.

The internal network is running at speeds I would expect from my router and gigabit wired devices - transfer between devices on my own network is nice and fast. However, the internet connection is dearly hitting a bottleneck at the access point - I figure is the primary cause anyway. It's a 100mbp/s wired connection to my route - and only supports 2.4ghz WiFi to connect to the communal AP.

I opted for the 'TP-LINK TL-WA801ND 300 Mbps Wireless N Access Point’ - but this has gotta be the bottle neck on speed as the rest of then hardware and internal network performance tests were fine.

I’ll be upgrading to the TP-LINK T TL-WA1201 AC Access Point, 867 Mbps/5 GHz + 300 Mbps/2.4 GHz.which has a better / faster  WiFi connectivity and a gigabit Ethernet out for connection to the router. Plus more antennas so it’s gotta be better right?

TP-LINK T Dual Band Wireless AC Access Point, 867 Mbps/5 GHz + 300 Mbps/2.4 GHz.

I’m still might not get full speeds but I’d expect to see a notable improvement. I’m also going to sort out positioning and optimal WiFi channels to try and improve signal strength and reliability (not that’s it’s a real problem).

The internal network runs well - streaming 4K video smoothly from my Plex media server to the client running on my Shied. I’ve also done 30gb+ transfers via SFTP and it was a short process.

As for the current setup -

TV, Shield, 5.1 Amp and the server with HDDs.

I'll post some updated speed test results next week once I've replace the current WiFi AP client.

Oh I also got the Pi-Hope sorted after a fresh Raspbian install so network wide ad-blocking is back (glad I wrote up an article covering install as I confess I needed it!). Lamps on the way for my spare Philips Hie bulbs too so I can brighten the place up a bit!

Pi-Hole Admin Page